Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Thankful Thursday - Poetry

GEDC8362 There is something soothing to the soul in poetry. Lucille Clifton, in Christine A. Sikorski, “An Interview with Lucille Clifton,” A View From the Loft (1994) stated
“I don’t go get a poem. It calls me and I accept it.”

If you write poetry, you will understand what she means. It does call you. Sometimes it awakens you from your sleep, sometimes it draws your attention away from your tasks, sometimes it overflows from your heart or mind as you witness something that touches your soul. It is cleansing and purifying like a shower and it can encompass such a wide spectrum of emotions within a few words, and do it like the ebb and flow of water on the shore, with a rhythm. The words connect the writer and reader in an almost intimate manner uniting them for the moment.

GEDC8379 

The love of poetry claimed me at an early age. I remember submitting a poem to a song company when I was in fifth grade. I am so proud of Icy BC Doan for creating her own book of poetry, (which has long been a dream of mine). I wish her well and know she will be successful as she has such a huge capacity for caring and expression along with a talent for a creativity. She is the hardest working online writer that I know and you can see her labors of love on many blogs and websites. I gave you only one link to click on but if you visit her blog you will find links to others.



GEDC8405

Poetry is like nature. I went to visit the pond by Polly’s country market  hoping maybe to see the crane again. I have found beautiful examples of God’s handiwork in the most unusual places. I found they had mowed down all the wild flowers at the pond but these tiny flowers stubbornly refused to leave the area.  They grew wildly along the water bank. Life tries to choke out our creativity by keeping us overwhelmed and busy, maybe even insane, but God’s reminders are every where. I drove behind the store and saw the prettiest Queen Anne’s Lace and two butterflies sharing a clover.

I thought the Q.A.L. looked just like a heart.


GEDC8421
I want to be like a butterfly and seek out the wonders that God has for us. When you seek out His beauty you will find your heart overflows with poetry. Your poetry may be prose, photography, woodworking, crocheting, embroidery, culinary arts, dance, music…. but it is poetry just the same.

Enjoy, share, and God bless! For more of God’s critters check out Camera Critters.


Camera Critters











5 comments:

ruthi

I agree... poetry is just like nature... it comes out naturally from the heart and the beauty is always sincere and amazing.

CHAN LEE PENG

Poetry is a flow of inspiration. Thanks, sis. All the best for Icy.

Icy BC

Oh Judy, I totally can relate to the calling of poetry! The words or the verses came to me at the oddest moments too.

Thanks for the mention Judy!

SquirrelQueen

While I rarely do poetry I think all writing is more inspiration than anything else. I don't sit down with the idea of writing 'something', I write what gets stuck in my head. It won't go away until it is written.

Self Sagacity

I can get poetic sometimes, but I don't even want to go there! It's playing with words and meanings, and I admire people who have such ability.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blogger template 'WhiteOrange' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008