Sunday, April 25, 2010

Answers to Last Weeks Quiz



If you played last weeks name that flower quiz here are the answers:
  • red background, lilac petals w/yellow center = avantegard clematis
  • white with a touch of pink in the center and yellow stamen = belle of working clematis 
  • lavendar vareigated petals with the deeply colored center and thin petals in the second layer = empress clematis
  • periwinkle blue wide petals with green stripes in them, then white feathery petals and yellow and green center = crystal fountain clematis

I am pretty sure everyone knows the pictured flowers are daffodils. I want to thank Jeannie for supplying me with flowers to photograph and even a helping hand to hold them still in the fierce wind today.:-)

Gardening Made Easy gives us some tips and info about our pretty ruffled spring flowers:

  • The typical flower is 1 to 3 in diameter.
  • Most bloom one flower to a stem but the 'Texas' offers several to a stem
  • The 'Foundling' measures approximately 6 inches while the 
  • 'St. Keverne' measures 20 in.
  • 'Thalia' is a fragrant species
  • 'Jetfire' is fiery red or orange
  • Toss a handful of 'Homefires' on a slope and let them bloom where they land
  • Smaller daffodils such as 'Jack Snipe', 'Beryl', 'Tete-a`-tete', and 'Baby Moon' work well in rock gardens
  • Do not plant near a shallow rooted tree such as a maple where they will have to compete for water
  • Plant in early fall
  • In most zones if you plant 1 to 2 inches deeper than recommended the daffodils will reward you by returning year after year. 
I hope you enjoy your daffodils. Take care and God bless. 




4 comments:

SquirrelQueen

Clematis, I would never have thought about those. It's a flower I have never had in my garden. Good game it was fun.

Daffodils are always so pretty, I need to add more varieties to my garden for next spring. I really like the color of the second one.

Serline

These lovely flowers have a "bridal" quality to them: the colors stand out ever so subtly from the off white "gown"...

Icy BC

Gorgeous daffodils..I see many fancy ones with double petals this year..

Unknown

Judy, I envy you your knowledge of flowers. Thanks for the visit.

Serline, I love flowers and gowns, but then I love flowers. :-)

Icy, I was surprised to find out how many various daffodils there are. With all these varieties how can we ever learn them all?

Take care & God bless.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blogger template 'WhiteOrange' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008