Thursday, September 24, 2009

God has a sense of humor!

You say week ends. I say week begins.

Why do we call them week ends? Why not week "begins"? Saturday ends the week. Sunday begins the next. Kind of like a glass being half full or half empty. Both is right, but half full is better! The two days between the work weeks end and begin our weeks.

But where do they go?

Whether they end or begin our week, they certainly go by quickly. I had four of my grandchildren all day on Saturday, and took three of them home, keeping Makii overnight to attend church with me Sunday. He is a delightful five year old with a mischievous twinkle in his hazel colored eyes and a fun spirit.

Grandchildren are always an adventure.

I finally settled him in to bed the night before, after reading three stories and tucking him in repeatedly. Then I decided to vacuum and I caused the lights to go out. A terrified little guy was determined not to rest then but to follow me through the dark house as I lit a candle and found my way through the dark to my circuit breaker box in the basement. Once the lights were safely back on, we went through the night time ritual again, then the prayers, the kiss and hug and finally off to sleep. As far as I know he did not stir the entire night.

We are all dressed up and ready to go.

In the morning after breakfast and washing up he donned his big boy suit, and with smiling face eagerly jumped in the back seat of grandma's car to attend Sunday services. He carried with him a brightly colored green and turquoise colored gift bag I had placed crayons and a coloring book in to help occupy him during the sermon. He quietly colored as I followed the scripture reading in my Bible. Soon I heard a few stifled snickers. Our pastor had a grin kind of tugging on his face, and some of the church ladies were looking some where near me.

What are they laughing at?

I turned to follow their eyes and saw my grandson wearing his little buttoned up shirt and tie with vest and a very serious look on his innocent little face, but he had turned the gift bag upside down over his head like a hat. The handles loosely drooped below his ears. I shrugged my shoulders at the pastor and the ladies. I shot a serious look at Makii and gestured for him to remove the bag. It was so hard not to laugh. He was/is a precious sight.

They shook his hand and congratulated him on good behavior.

You know God has a sense of humor, after all he has instilled it within His children, large and small. Church members pumped his hand as we left after the service and told him what a "good" little boy he was and thanked him for coming with me. Of course, Grandma had a gentle talk with Makii while driving him home about the way we should behave in church.

This was the beginning of my week. How about yours?

The above pictured church is found here. My friend, Chan Lee Peng has published two articles showing some of the most beautiful churches in the world. You can view them by clicking here or here. He has captured some of the most amazing architecture found anywhere. Here are just two of them. Enjoy!

8 comments:

http://chanleepenghealth.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the read, sister. And thanks for the mention. These architectures are indeed AMAZING!!!

cherie

these are beautiful shots - and certainly, you had a wonderful time with makii! in my case, you know how they have a little room for children sometimes in church? well, last Sunday, i led the boys in there to join the other kids and the adult organizers of kids' activities while church was going on. i heard that aj kept raising his hand but he wouldn't say a thing, lol! happy week ahead, Juds! wonder what our Sunday adventures will be this time, hmmmmm...

Unknown

Chan, I remember viewing those articles thinking that our heavenly father deserves the most beautiful structure we can create. He surrounds us in beauty! Thank you for your visit!
Cherie, we have a little room but it is small so we can only use it for the little babies. He's learning. The more I take him the better he will be. They keep us on our toes.
:-)

Icy BC

Well, Makii does what comes natural to him, and that's to have a bit of fun wherever he is..

Unknown

Icy, he sure does, and so does Grandma when allowed to tag along. lol!

Love your new avatar!

Tes

Makii is really cute! Kids do those funny things... He's such a smart kid -very observant! There is no day with my 5-year old students that I did not laugh.

Anne Lyken-Garner

A lovely and pleasant thought with which to start the week, Judy. Sometimes services can get a bit dull for kids even when we think they're uplifting. I let my kids laugh a bit on Sunday mornings. Sometimes I even laugh with them. You're right, God does have a sense of humour. He doesn't want us to be sombre all the time. After all, he's given us millions of things to smile about, right?

Unknown

Tes & Anne, yes, they keep us smiling and I am grateful for a sense of humor.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blogger template 'WhiteOrange' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008