Saturday, August 15, 2009

My Baby Boy is in Puerto Rico!


About three months ago I saw a name flash across my caller i.d. ; one I had not seen for over 20 years. I hesitated to answer the phone because so many hurtful memories came crashing down on me. Some things we just never really get over, and this is one of them. It is something much too personal to disclose online.

Please talk to my brother, she pleaded...

My ex-sister in-law was on the other end and she really only knew half the story, and she had always been kind to the children and I, so I answered the phone with hands trembling. What could this be? She explained that she had tried for years to get in touch with me. They wanted to see their nephew, my baby boy. I explained that while working as a prison guard we were advised to keep our number unlisted and I had just recently stopped doing that because I lacked the extra funds. She begged me to talk to her brother. She wanted us to be on speaking terms. I broke down as I told her briefly what had happened then she no longer pushed the issue but asked how we were doing. She then asked me for my son's phone number.

My baby is a man.

My "baby" boy is 23, so he has a right to make up his own mind. He had wanted to meet the family he had not seen since the age of 2 months, so I gave her his telephone number and she hung up to call him.

He was ecstatic!

He was always curious about the rest of his family and felt shorted when my older children referred to their father and all he had was a photo of his. We did not even get child support, letters, or calls. He had heard that his father remarried and had daughters. What did they look like? What were their interests? Many thoughts ran through his mind and he would ask me sometimes about his aunts, cousins, and his uncle.

He talked to his sisters for hours, his father minutes..

He bonded with his sisters instantly and they established a rapport. He became their friends on My Space and they his. They emailed each other pictures and swapped stories. He talked to his father for a few minutes and after an awkward silence asked for one of his sisters back.

They are meeting now.

He and his long time girl friend flew out early this morning. He sent me a text to let me know he arrived safely and I advised him that we want pictures for our blog. I have been praying for his safe trip to and from and hope everything goes well. He's still my baby.

picture source

4 comments:

•°°• IcyBC •°°•

I wish your son good luck, and have fun! Hopefully, everything will be alright!

Unknown

Thanks, Icy! He better bring me back pictures!

cherie

hello, judy, i pray that everything will be all right. your son seems to have a good grip on things...

Unknown

Cherie, how did you know that? He does and I am proud of him. Thanks & God bless.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blogger template 'WhiteOrange' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008