Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Thankful Thursday - A place for everything

You'll find a friend in the pages of a book.

Of the things I left behind in New York, books are one of the things I missed the most. Books become like friends when they help you through life's many problems. When my children came down with chicken pox, I found helpful tips in my books. Instead of the recommended calamine lotion, I found a suggestion to use cold cream fresh from the refrigerator. (It did relieve their itching better and keep the scarring down to a minimum.) I also keep aloevera in my fridge for burn relief in the kitchen. I found tips for child care, healthier ways to cook, tips for getting through those teen years and the list goes on.

I've replaced my books and have even more than before.

In a previous post I disclosed a site my friend Jeannie told me about where she has ordered her favorite books for a penny and I continually find books at thrift stores for a quarter, but where can I put all these books??? Short of building a library :-) I need some place to keep them so my home does not become too cluttered and so I can locate the particular book I need when I need it.

Even though I give books away, I have tons to store.

I donate and pass books on to others if I no longer want them. I have even found a place that swaps books for more books.

Tiger knocks the books down if they are in his way.

And sometimes Tiger gets a bit klutzy and they end up scattered on the floor giving me a continual job of picking them up. Jeannie had a piece of furniture in her barn she was no longer using. They removed the shelves to use elsewhere and she asked if I wanted it. It was a true blessing. I bought a  pine board at Home Depot for less than $5. and had it cut for free. She left the shelf brackets so I only needed to put the boards in it and put my books away. Look at all the books I can see at one glance, and these are not in Tiger's way! Thanks, Jeannie. I love it!

6 comments:

T. Powell Coltrin

I love books. I love lots of books everywhere. And I love Tiger.

A very warm post. Love it too.

Icy BC

You're very resourceful, Judy! The bookcase looks great.

Anonymous

Judy I'm so glad you were able to give that piece a new home. I don't know what I would do without you. My good friend. I thank the Lord every day for bringing us together. Have a great day and Thank you. Jeannie

Unknown

Teresa, Icy, and Jeannie, thanks so much for your visits.

Teresa, you are like me in that you love your books. They are like friends to me. I treasure them. I also treasure my friends. :-) You guys are great.

Icy, it sure looks better than my piles of books, especially after the cat scatters them. :-)

Jeannie, doesn't it look great? You saw the before and after, so you know. lol

Take care & God bless.

SquirrelQueen

My husband and I both have a love for books so they are all over the house. One thing I have done to keep the count down a little is to download novels to my PDA. Usually a novel I will read once so this saves money and maybe a tree or two. I usually download older books for free.

Tiger is adorable.

Unknown

Judy, most my books cost from a quarter to a dollar but I love free even more! :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blogger template 'WhiteOrange' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008