Sunday, December 13, 2009

The largest citrus fruit I've ever seen

I was tickled pink, just like the beautiful pummelo, when I saw a new type of fruit in my local Krogers. I am always on the look out for new foods to taste.

When I spotted the fruit in the basket right next to the grapefruit I nearly got whiplash. I've never seen fruit this big before. I placed the largest grapefruit I could find and the pummelo I was going to purchase side by side in my cart. See the picture. They were priced at $2.99 each, and I was going to pay $2.99 regardless of size, so I wanted a good sized one.

After I picked out my prize pummelo, I stopped at my daughter's home which is only a few blocks from the store and cut into it. We tasted and loved it. Then I took the rest to my friend Jeannie's and we sliced away and ate too. Did you know they can grow to nine pounds?

For more information on the pummelo read here. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.







7 comments:

Willie a.k.a Reptoz

I think I have eaten this fruit before...

Icy BC

I'm glad you enjoy this fruit, Judy!

I didn't have to pay that much for one since we have a fruit market here that sells for 99 cents each..

Unknown

Willie, thanks for visiting. This was my first time & I hope not the last!

Icy, I only found them at our newer Kroger store, but I shared it with 4 people. I'm glad you can get them that reasonable.

Take care & God bless!

SquirrelQueen

It's been awhile since I've had one, the ones in our stores haven't looked that good. They are delicious.

Unknown

Judy, I had not even seen one until this year and of course, was curious!

T. Powell Coltrin

I feel stupid. I don't know what this is. What does it taste like? Please don't say chicken. :)

Unknown

JW, they taste like grapefruit without the bitterness. I've only seen them carried at one store, and that is our newer Kroger. According the the research I did for the article, they have only recently been grown in the states.

You are not stupid. Only one coworker that I spoke to had ever tasted them and that's because she is from California. I only just saw one this month.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blogger template 'WhiteOrange' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008